Floods, Feed and Finances

As I write this week’s comments, I’m sitting in a feedmill just outside of Iowa City, Iowa. Dr Steve Pohl, extension ag engineer at South Dakota State University and I have been conducting a series of ventilation workshops in eastern Iowa and western Illinois this past week. As you might expect, we’ve seen a lot of water. Surprisingly, we’ve also seen some very good corn and soybean fields, and talked with producers who say they have very good crops. Read More...

My First Blog

Blogging is a new experience for me, but in many ways it is similar to what I often did in Extension meetings in Nebraska. For many years, one of the most popular sessions I led was an annual meeting with the Knox County Pork Producers that they called ‘Brumm Speaks Out’. This meeting was a free-wheeling discussion of a variety of topics that impacted pork producers in Knox County. Topics included public policy, new technology, disease, finance, management and anything else on the producers minds. After 20+ years of working with the producers, I had been on many of their farms and was familiar with many of their concerns. Read More...