Hats off

I spent 4 days this week in 2 2500 sow breed-to-wean units ear tagging 5 day old pigs on their birth litters as part of an upcoming research project. I don’t normally spend much time in sow units, other than to help them with ventilation issues. Being in the units and working side by side with the employees made me appreciate even more the effort that goes into the weaned pigs that many of us receive in our nurseries and wean-finish facilities.  Read More...

Commentary on USDA Hogs and Pigs report

For many years, following the release of the quarterly USDA hogs and pigs report I write a commentary on the changing structure of the US industry as documented by the numbers in these reports. This commentary is circulated via email and continues to be posted at the University of Nebraska’s Pork Central Website (www.porkcentral.unl.edu). The following is the text of this report. The report itself also included 26 graphs. If you would like to be included in the email distribution of this report, please reply with a comment to this blog and I will add your email address to the distribution list. Read More...