Feeders as a control point in production

While we know that feed is the largest expense in a wean-finish barn, and we all strive for a low feed cost per pound of gain, I don’t think we realize how important our investment in a feeder is. A couple of weeks ago I was involved in a conference call with Steve Dritz from Kansas State University. In a discussion of feeders, he brought up how much feed each feeder in a barn handles per year. Read More...

Preventing hot pigs

While it has been ‘warm’ in the Midwest this past week, it is nothing like conditions on the east coast. As I write this weeks blog, it is currently 89F in Clinton, NC with a dew point of 71F and predicted high temperature of 93F. Clinton is in the middle of the North Carolina pork production region. Thus, the definition of warm or hot depends on location. Read More...

This years pig and corn crop

While much has been written about the progress of this year’s corn crop, I can attest that I saw a field of corn tasseling in southern Minnesota on July 4, with many more just at the edge of shooting a tassel. Yes, many fields are yellow from too much water, but you’ve got to believe in a good crop when it’s raining on corn that is tasseling a good 2 weeks ahead of ‘normal’. In addition, no 90 F temperatures in the forecast for our area. Read More...