Consumers and the meat case

All of us get a variety of industry related magazines to read. I think a majority of the readers of this blog receive National Hog Farmer and Pork, I also receive the Western Hog Journal (serving the industry in the Canadian Prairie Provinces), Pig International and Suis (serving the industry in Spain). Because we sell our pigs to packers who in turn either sell product direct to consumers via retail outlets or sell product to further processors, I also receive Meatingplace, a magazine which covers the further processing industry.  Read More...

Cold weather and a range of thoughts

Another week of winter in southern Minnesota. Yesterday morning when I left the house at 6:45 am to go to one of our research barns it was -22F (-30C). While that sounds terribly cold to many readers of this blog, in our region weaned pigs still got transported, market pigs went to slaughter, etc – all without too many problems. The good news for those of raising pigs in confinement – the pigs are doing very well in the conditions we provide versus how it was done 30 or more years ago.  Read More...

Anthrozoology

All of us involved in pork production are aware of the animal rights versus animal welfare debate. As an industry we are making great efforts to communicate the story of our animal husbandry methods to the consuming public. With only 65,000 farms with pigs and over 300 million US consumers, this is a big and very important task. Read More...