Will 2013 be a good year?

It’s Friday before New Year’s and as I work in my office, snow is falling. Winter has been late in arriving in Minnesota. How late – yesterday I saw a producer installing plastic drainage tile lines at the Iowa-Minnesota border. Normally the frost should be at least 1-2 foot deep by this time of year, and getting deeper rapidly. With warm temperatures and no soil moisture, frost is reported to be no more than 1-2 inches deep in many area fields. Read More...

Some random thoughts and thanks

Last week the average barrow and gilt slaughter weight in the Iowa and Southern Minnesota market region was 276.2 lb, the heaviest on record. Sales weights are higher for 2 reasons. The first is full slaughter schedules at all of the major packing plants – producers continue to deliver enough pigs to have daily kills in the 420-430,000 head range, very close to the estimated total slaughter capacity.  Read More...

Is expansion coming?

This week has meant a lot of hospital time for me. Our daughter has been hospitalized since Tuesday with a high fever of unknown origin. Yesterday she began responding to generalized treatment (IV antibiotic) so some relief, but still concern as to the cause of the fever. I obviously have been out of the loop on a lot of industry issues this past week and thank those of you who have already expressed concern and prayers for her recovery. Read More...