Weaned pig prices

Last February the spot market for SEW pigs hit $71 on the week ending February 4. This past week the spot market was at $69 as listed in the Friday USDA report. Forty pound feeder pigs are $77 on the spot market, right where they were last year at this time. Prices are high for 2 reasons – a belief that summer profits can support such prices and a shortage of pigs to fill barns due to the impact of PRRS on breeding herds. Read More...

What are the future challenges to pork production

The Minnesota Pork Congress was Wednesday and Thursday this past week and I had the opportunity to speak with many of the readers of this blog. A common theme in our conversations seemed to be speculation regarding who is expanding and when will the expansion in production impact the markets. There was also a lot of discussion regarding how many wean-finish and grow-finish spaces will be constructed this summer and everyone agreed – quite a few. Read More...

Wild 2 days in Chicago futures

The $0.50/bu decline in corn prices for the March, May and July contracts the past 2 days following yesterday morning’s USDA report is the talk of Midwest agriculture. If you’re a grain seller, you’re suddenly going to make plans to hold corn for a period of time to see if the market recovers some of this loss (about 8% drop in value in 2 days). If you’re a buyer of corn (i.e. pork or chicken producer), you may suddenly be trying to forward price more of your feed needs. Read More...

USDA funding

Beginning this week, there will be some changes in USDA market reports, etc. I have been receiving an automated weekly link to a summary report of DDGS prices and corn:DDGS ratios every Friday. This week’s link included notice that USDA has discontinued this specific report. I have seen stories about other reports being discontinued by either USDA or NASS (National Ag Statistics Service) due to funding limitations. Read More...