When will corn planting begin?

With both the USDA planting intentions report and the quarterly Hogs and Pigs report released today, an active day for those who follow markets and try and estimate impacts. The corn market responded to the report by ending limit up on near-by corn and $0.15-0.18 up for new crop corn. Bean were up even higher based on the lower than expected planted acreage estimate. Read More...

Pig performance standards

At the American Association of Swine Veterinarians meeting, Dr Tom Stein presented data on ‘normal’ pig performance based on the closeouts of production systems using the MetaFarms data system. This data represents groups of growing pigs that were closed out from January 1, 2008 to the fall of 2011. The data base represents approximately 25,000 groups of pigs that used a common record system. Read More...

Topics of interest at meetings this winter

It’s Sunday morning as I write this weeks blog from a hotel room in Denver, CO. I at the American Association of Swine Veterinarians annual meeting. Next week is the Midwest Section of the American Society of Animal Scientists meeting in Des Moines. Between the 2 meetings I’ll have good chance to not only visit with a major cross section of people who work in the swine industry but also to have a look at new products and research results. I’ll also end up eating too much, something all of us tend to do at these meetings. Read More...