Manure from confinement livestock units

Last Thursday and Friday I attended the Minnkota Agri Builders Conference in Sioux Falls. This multi-state group has been meeting for over 20 years under the guidance of Dr Larry Jacobson from the University of Minnesota and Dr Steve Pohl from South Dakota State University. Once a year this group of ag builders meets to discuss issues associated with livestock housing and to occasionally tour selected livestock facilities. Read More...

Cow herd use of DDGS is impacting pricing

As I write this blog this week I’m sitting at the fairgrounds in Sioux Center, Iowa with approximately 225 pork producers doing PQA+ certification to be followed by my presentation on summer heat management and emergency ventilation issues. These producers are both contract growers and owners of pigs. The very large attendance at this meeting sponsored by the Farmers Coop Society demonstrates the importance of pork production to the region’s economy. Read More...

Thoughts from San Diego

I’m writing this delayed blog sitting in the airport at San Diego where I just finished attending the American Association of Swine Veterinarians annual meeting. This morning Dr Howard Hill, former COO for Iowa Select and currently vice president of the National Pork Producers Council gave a presentation on the challenges to the US Pork industry as viewed from the NPPC perspective. Read More...