Is there an advantage to wean-finish facilities?

Dr Tom Gillespie, a swine veterinarian from Rensselaer, Indiana replied to my blog on Crop Progress and Hog Barns from earlier this summer. He asked that I comment on the possible differences in performance between wean-finish barns and nursery moved to finisher combinations of facilities. In his reply he stated that one production system claims a 4% advantage to nursery moved to finisher vs. wean-to finish.  Read More...

PED virus and biosecurity

By now most readers of this blog, at least in the US, have read about the spread of PED virus in the Midwest swine industry. On Wednesday at a meeting of veterinarians and producers at World Pork Expo it was announced that there have been 103 confirmed infections in the past month with the number expected to grow rapidly. Read More...

Crop progress and pig barns

This week is the 25th World Pork Expo in Des Moines. I look forward to visiting with many of you at this event. If the rains hold off I expect many of you with plans to attend will change those plans and be spending time trying to catch up on corn and soybean planting. In this region I did see a planter operating on Friday afternoon so there is hope yet that we will get this years crop in the ground. Read More...