Today’s market prices mean bigger contract grower risks

Sometimes a topic comes up that doesn’t fit my sort-of weekly writing schedule. Yesterday I had a field person for a contract production system ask about emergency drop curtains on a double-wide tunnel barn. The curtains had been ‘ruined’ by a power-washer so the grower inserted bubble wrap into the curtain opening to make it tight again so the correct negative pressure could be attained at the inlets for proper air distribution. Read More...

The cool wet spring has a good side to it

Will it ever warm up and dry up? That is the common question being asked across the upper Midwest this past week. While the recent rains have been welcome in the western regions of the corn belt, much of the Midwest is now at or above historic soil moisture levels. The lack of sunny days and warm weather has delayed spring planting severely and expectations are that this afternoons planting progress report will reflect the on-going delays. Read More...

I’m now a ‘Tweeter’

One of my daughters works at a regional bank and manages the behind the scenes software that the bank has begun using for all of its customer service activities. With the purchase of this software, her job includes getting all of the bank employees who work with customers comfortable with social media and all of its implications, limitations and opportunities. She has some very interesting stories of the bank president accepting the need to become social media aware and jumping into the learning activities along with the other employees. She has been trying to convince me of the value of the new ways people interact and receive information. I can see myself being even more naive than the bank officers in trying out this type of communication. Read More...