Commentary on USDA Hogs and Pigs report

For many years, following the release of the quarterly USDA hogs and pigs report I write a commentary on the changing structure of the US industry as documented by the numbers in these reports. This commentary is circulated via email and continues to be posted at the University of Nebraska’s Pork Central Website (www.porkcentral.unl.edu). The following is the text of this report. The report itself also included 26 graphs. If you would like to be included in the email distribution of this report, please reply with a comment to this blog and I will add your email address to the distribution list. Read More...

It’s time to think about pit pumping safety issues

In the past 3-4 weeks I’ve given presentations to producers and their advisors at meetings in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Minnesota. At each of these sessions I’ve included a discussion of ventilation management strategies to reduce the likelihood of pig deaths associated with pit pumping activities. At each of these sessions, there were producers and advisors who have been involved in sudden pig deaths because of these activities. Read More...